College of Arts and Science Requirements
- minimum 120 hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0
Up to 40 Religious Studies hours may count toward the total 120.
- minimum 30 hours numbered 3000 and above
For more information about College of Arts and Science requirements and General Education requirements, please see A Guide for the Major (pdf).
Religious Studies Department Requirements for the Major
- 30 hours in Religious Studies, at least 21 hours of which are numbered 2000 or above; the credit in almost all Religious Studies courses is 3 hours.
- RS 1100: Introduction to Religion, or RS 2110: Religions of the World
- RS 3990: Majors Seminar (ordinarily taken during Spring Semester of the Junior year)
- RS 4100: Advanced Theories and Methods (ordinarily taken during Fall Semester of the Senior year)
- RS 4990: Senior Seminar (ordinarily taken during Spring Semester of the Senior year)
- 3 hours earned in each of three required fields (Asian Religious Traditions, Indigenous Religious Traditions, Western Religious Traditions) and there are many courses from which to choose to satisfy this requirement.
- 9 hours earned in any course in Religious Studies that a major chooses.
- Only religious studies courses completed with a grade of C or above are acceptable for a major in Religious Studies
- Majors must complete a graduation plan with the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Religious Studies in 221 A&S, and personally deliver it to the A&S Advising Center in 107 Lowry to be officially filed.
- Students who are interested in pursuing a double major, with majors in Religious Studies and another discipline in which they are also interested, are encouraged to do this. Double majors must complete a graduation plan for each major.